the Past …
with an Undying Spirit
Rowley is an amazing ghost town
with an undying spirit! It is also a must to visit when
traveling through the area.
The community’s main attractions include: the Rowley Church (a
provincial historic site), Prairie School Museum, and the Yesteryear
Artifacts Museum (housed in the original railway station). The
most famous stop in Rowley is Sam’s Saloon, a well-known local
watering hole and meeting place.
Be sure to stop by on the last Saturday
on the month (5 pm to 8 pm) for Pizza Night and great entertainment.
There’s a lot to see in Rowley, including an authentic General Store, bank
building, livery stable and more. Free camping is available to all visitors right in Rowley.
The Hamlet of
Rowley is 8 miles (12.8 km) north of the junction of Highway 56, 9 and 27 (Morrin
Corner), then west on Township Road 32-4 (follow the highway signs. For tours or information, contact (403)368-3757, (403) 368-2355, or (403) 368-3816.
Manse aka "Daisy’s House
Minister’s home and
wedding site. Now privately owned, “Daisy’s House” was painted blue for
“Bye Bye Blues’, filmed in Rowley in 1988.
The hospital was built between 1918 and
1920. It was then transformed into a classroom and has since been a
private residence to many families. This too was painted blue and used as
the hotel for the movie, “Bye Bye Blues.”
Rowley Church –
Provincial Historical Site
Services were first held in homes and in the first School. In 1925, funds
to build a Church were begun to be raised by Chicken Suppers, until this
building was erected (and completely paid for) in 1938-39. Closed in
1979, it is still used for Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals and Special
This building was
also used as a store front for “Bye, Bye Blues”. When on your tour, note
the unusual staircase and French Provincial Chandelier.
Rowley’s original hall burned down in 1922. Rowley has always been a
resourceful community, and like the “Chicken Dinners” that helped build the
Church, Community Hall fundraising began with a raffle for a crocheted
doily, which is displayed within its walls! An addition that included
an entrance, bathrooms, kitchen and water was opened in 1974. An
enlarged kitchen was added in the 1980’s to cater to the Steam Train visits.
This is the meeting place for coffee and
Prairie School Museum
Built in 1911,
located west of Morrin, the Hillsgreen School was moved to Rowley
in 1991. Teachers lived in the back of the school and their job consisted
of instructing Grades 1 to 12, stoking the fire, hauling water and general
upkeep. Note: You can have a look to see if your name is in the old
Box Car Park
setting. The Box Car Site displays antiques and historical
Prairie Grain Elevators
Provincial Historical Site
our past for the future”
Yesteryear Artifacts Museum
The railway came
to Rowley in 1919 and a Box Car was the first Station until the
present Station was built in 1920. In 1980 the building was
leased to the community and converted to a Museum to celebrate
Alberta’s 75th Birthday. The antiques, Pioneer
Memorabilia and Station artifacts are wonderful!
This was the general store from 1920 to
1973. It was also used as a summer café in a commercial.
Tasty food items available during events. Take a look at the
antiques throughout, along with the Royal Family Room,
Hairdressing Parlour and our own “R-Max Theater” in the back.
This was a
restaurant built in 1922. Last owned and operated by Sam Leung
until 1968. In 1980 it was converted to a Saloon and Gathering
Place. Cool drinks and fresh popped popcorn come along with
some down home hospitality.
Was built in
1920 and operated as a garage for 20 years. There was a circa
1920 glass gas pump outside and a 1928 Ford inside.
store front from “Bye Bye Blues.” Stop in for a game and see
the Barber Shop/Doctors’ offices.
Was built in
1917, and is still owned by a member of the Swallow Family.
operation until 1943, and was used as the Post Office in “Bye
WEBSITES OF INTEREST
Rowley, Alberta: The Never Say Die Prairie Town
Ghost Town of Rowley