NOTICE TO STARLAND COUNTY FARMERS - 2% LIQUID STRYCHNINE CONTROL PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE- Starland County is now SOLD OUT of strychnine. If you would like to be put on the wait list please complete our online form, and you will be notified when more strychnine arrives. We apologize for any inconvenience, but are experiencing difficulty getting product due to COVID-19 border restrictions.
Starland County is participating in this program and will have 2% LSC available to qualifying farmers from April 6th until June 30th. The abbreviated details of the program are as follows:
The sale of 2% Liquid Strychnine Concentrate (LSC) for the control of Richardson’s Ground Squirrels (RGS’s) has been approved for the 2020 season.
*Strychnine sales to producers will be discontinued March 4th, 2021 per cancellation by the PMRA.
- Strychnine sales by registrant are prohibited after March 4, 2021, followed by;
- Strychnine sales by retailer are prohibited after March 4, 2022, followed by;
- Strychnine possession and use by end-user is prohibited after March 4, 2023
- The product is only available to agricultural producers in Starland County
- Each producer limited to 2 cases (48 bottles) of LSC, minimum purchase is 6 bottles
- The producer must use an Online form that states:
1. They have a severe infestation as defined by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
2. They will use 2% LSC only for the control of RGS’s
3. They will not sell or give away any 2% LSC
- Provincial Pest Inspectors may inspect your property to ensure that you are complying with all label directions and conditions of use and registration
- Any non-target poisonings must be reported and the product cannot be used on any quarter which has burrowing owls or any other species at risk
- Violation of any of the outlined terms and conditions will result in the purchaser forfeiting the right to any further purchases of strychnine and could result in a fine of no less than $1500.00
- Cost of the product is $276/case or $11.50/bottle
Due to the current COVID-19 isolation measures, the Starland County Office is closed to the public. However, we acknowledge that Richardson’s Ground Squirrel control is vital to the economic success of agricultural producers in our area. To continue to serve producers we will now be issuing strychnine forms electronically that must be submitted before pickup arrangements are made.
Only forms with a valid email address as a means of verification will be accepted.
To apply, please fill out this form click here
After receiving your form, someone will be contacting you to arrange for pickup. An appointment is mandatory to pick-up strychnine.